top of page

How do I know if my gas engineer is qualified?

We guarantee that all engineers at Mumford Heating Services are Gas Safe and Oftec Registered.

You are within your rights to ask for proof of the engineer’s qualifications, before they begin work.


All gas engineers are required by law to be ‘Gas Safe Registered’, (previously known as Corgi Registered).


All gas and Oftec engineers should carry an identification card which includes the engineer’s name, registration number and business details.

To confirm the validity of the card, you can contact Gas Safe Register on 0800 408 5500 or go online to This information also appears on the identification cards.


What do I do if I small gas?

If you can smell gas or think there may be a leak, you should immediately telephone the National Gas Emergency Service number on 0800 111 999. Lines are open 24hrs a day.

Before you call, take the following action to help keep you and your property safe:

  • DO Open all doors and windows to ventilate the property.

  • DO Turn off the gas using mains tap, which can usually be located near the gas meter. If the gas leak is in a cellar or basement, do not enter. Instead, evacuate the building.

It is important that you DO NOT do any of the following if you suspect you have a gas leak or you smell gas:

  • DO NOT turn any power or light switches on or off.

  • DO NOT light any sort of flame within the property.

  • DO NOT use any appliances that may cause a spark.


A gas leak can sometimes lead to you feeling physical symptoms like dizziness, fatigue, nausea and headaches. These symptoms should ease when you move outside the property into fresh air, however you should visit your GP as a precaution if you’ve been exposed to a gas leak.

If you experience these symptoms but can’t smell  gas, it could be a sign of a carbon monoxide leak. Read the Cadent carbon monoxide guide here to find out more. 

How can I tell if I have a Carbon Monoxide leak?

Carbon monoxide has no smell at all, making it very difficult to detect a leak. You can’t see, hear it, taste it or touch it either. Having working audible carbon monoxide alarms in your home and learning to spot the physical signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning is essential in minimising the health risks posed by a leak.

If you think you have a Carbon Monoxide leak, you should open all doors and windows, move outside into fresh air and call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.

Read the Cadent carbon monoxide guide here to find out more. 

My boiler is leaking, what do I do?

There could be a number of reasons why your boiler is leaking. It is best to call an engineer to seek advice and arrange a visit.

You can contact us via telephone on 07535 977 207, email or through our contact page.

Little Leaks - If your boiler is leaking slightly, you will need to call an engineer as soon as possible to investigate the leak. Getting little leaks fixed sooner will prevent the leaks getting worse and prevent damage to your boiler.

Big Leaks - You may need to turn the power off to your boiler and turn your water off. You can turn the water off using the stop tap which is usually located under the kitchen sink or utility room. To protect your home from any damage caused by the leak, it is recommended that you collect the water from the boiler using towels or buckets. You will need to call an engineer to arrange a site visit to investigate the leak.

bottom of page